Season 2, Episode 3
Host(s): Dr. Larry Force, Andrew O’Grady, Elisa Gwilliam
Guest(s): Dr. Charles Flores: licensed and nationally certified psychotherapist and CEO of Vital Puma INtegral Recovery based in Oakland, California
Dr. Charles Flores (PhD, LPCC, LAADC-S, MAC, CCMHC, NCC, NCTTP, Q-SAP) joins the INTERSECTIONS Exchange team to share his expertise in the addiction and psychology fields and discuss recovery strategies. Dr. Flores discusses the barriers to effective recovery in modern life as well as promising novel interventions for addiction using psychedelic medications.
- Dr. Flores’ academic and professional journey into the addiction field
- Introduction to transpersonal psychology
- Comparisons of public and private psychological practice
- The potential role of spirituality and a higher power in recovery
- Innovative uses of psychedelics in addiction treatment
- Discussion of co-addictions
- Social media and addiction
- Vital Puma Integral Recovery
- The Role of Social Supports, Spirituality, Religiousness, Life Meaning and Affiliation with 12-Step Fellowships in Quality of Life Satisfaction Among Individuals in Recovery from Alcohol and Drug Problems (NIH)
- How can I identify triggers that make me want to use?
- I drink because I’m anxious
- I’m addicted to more than one substance, what do I do?
- “The addiction that is going on with people who have more money is not seen, it’s made invisible and it’s made to seem like it’s only people who are poor or BIPOC who are affected.” – Dr. Charles Flores
- “Sometimes in the mental health delivery service, people of means are the most isolated because they’re not going to therapy for a variety of reasons. Even police officers don’t want a trail of insurance and neglect to seek treatment.” – Dr. Larry Force
- “We really need to individualize treatment in this country…you’re either in this silo or that silo and then the treatment is the same for everybody…we want people to see that there’s more available than just that model.” – Andrew O’Grady